Hello Daniel :-)

If its okay, I will answer between the quotet parts.

Am Sonntag, 27. Juli 2003 10:33 schrieb Daniel Seifert:

> I'm currently evaluating OTRS for deployment in our (small) company. We
> are having several persons answer the support inquiries and a system
> like OTRS would definitely make life easier.

Good choice.

>       * How do I access closed tickets? I sent myself a test questions,
>         got a ticket assigned, answered it and then closed it. Now I do
>         not see where I can get a list of closed tickets to access
>         previous ones, except when I search for them.

I think using the search form to get access to closed or individual tickets is
a very efficient way and its IMHO the only one.

>       * When a customer replies to an email without keeping the ticket
>         number (either by removing it or by mangling it), his response
>         is not properly sorted into OTRS (a new ticket is created). What
>         would be nice is a way to move a new ticket to an already
>         existing ticket. (This is suggested several times on the mailing
>         list archive, so I just want to say "me too" on this feature

Sure.

>       * In reference to the previous item, I wonder whether you are
>         aware of another way to sort in tickets - the "in-reply-to"
>         header of the mail. Assuming that the mta on both sides does not
>         mangle the message ids, it would be possibly to extract the
>         messsage-id of the mail that the customer replied to. If OTRS's
>         outgoing mails used a message-id of
>         "ticketnumber+mailcount+checksum", this would provide a way to
>         sort customer replys with changed subjects or missing ticket
>         numbers.

Isn't it the same way, SuSE Linux AG (e.g.) does? I would prefer this option
too; or better: a point of choice where you can set the method you want. Dry
anyway: you are right. It would make life much more better.

>       * The feature list mentions the possibility of different
>         frontends. The console and web frontend are included, are there
>         any other frontends (like X11)?

I don't think so.

>       * For backup reasons I would like to keep each and every mail
>         going in and out in a separate folder in plain mbox format. This
>         is not the best solution, but better than nothing. While I can
>         sort incoming customer mails into appropriate folders using
>         procmail, it's a bit more complicated to do this with outgoing
>         mails. Can OTRS provide an "auto-bcc" field for outgoing mails?

You could. Just edit the needed files. :-)

>       * I did not find in the manual what the "Split/Divide" ("Teilen")
>         action (for example displayed in the zoom view) is supposed to
>         do.

The "Split/Divide" possibility helps you to share several tickets with
different operators. Just give it a try an you will find out.

> And finally a more fundamental question (possibly more related to mysql
> and not to OTRS per se): we are hosting our website at a remote location
> on a non-dedicated server). While our package includes php, perl and
> mysql, there are several reasons we do not want to put OTRS exclusively
> on our website (security, disk space, cpu utilization and most
> importantly speed and control). So we would put OTRS on our local server
> behind a firewall without the possibility for our customers to access
> their tickets via web. Has anybody been facing the same problem and what
> would be a recommended solution?

Regards,

- Dan

--
usgang.de GmbH  |  Am Frankenturm 5 - 7  |  D-50667 Köln

Fon +49 221 355 472 0  |  Fax +49 221 355 472 11