Hi Daniel,

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 06:23:35PM +0200, Daniel Seifert wrote:
> > [...]
> > The problem of using the ticket-number in the messsage-id is that no
> > customer can change it.
> >
> >  -=> E. g. a customer want's to write a new email to the system and is using
> >      an old OTRS email (by using the reply function), then the customer
> >      is just able to remove the ticket number from the subject (currently a new
> >      ticket will be created) but if we use also the in-reply-to header then
> >      the new request will be added to the old one. That's not what we want.
> >
> >  All customers need to know that the ticket number in the subject is the
> >   reference.
>
> Good argument. What worries me is that customers might remove/change the
> ticket number in the subject, thus creating a new ticket even though
> it's a reply to a previous one. I do not recall an easy way to fix this
> in the GUI, e.g. having a new ticket I cannot merge this new ticket with
> a previous ticket (if I knew the number anyway).
> Maybe, although this is probably problematic as well, the following
> would work: if a in-reply-to field with a valid ticket number exists but
> no ticket number is in the subject, a new ticket will be created but it
> will have a note "reply to ticket xyz" and a link to merge this new
> ticket back into ticket xyz.

The merge-function is on the todo list... but at the moment you need to
do this manually.

PS: I would add an auto-reply to your queues with the important info
that the ticket number in the subject line is the reference and should
not be removed. This is a normal way to inform your customers after
a ticket is created. .-)

>  Daniel Seifert
>
>  79bmedia GmbH * Chausseestr. 1
>  10115 Berlin * Germany * Tel. +49 (0)178 8775642

  Martin

--
Martin Edenhofer - <martin at edenhofer.de> - http://martin.edenhofer.de/