They may want to have a customer or agent backend that's not tied into LDAP?

If that's so, Ive never done it but there is some rather weak documentation
@ otrs on how to do it:

http://doc.otrs.org/2.2/en/html/x1572.html#multiple-customer-backends

Sorry I cant help too much since we are 100% ldap backended :(

-Andy