there are many highways between melbourne and sydney

This has nothing to do with competition.

correct it's doesn't, but remember when the optus workers cut the big cable
between melbourne and sydney, or like in tassie when the idiots broken in to
an exchange building on the easten shore and put an axe into the cables, the
point is if you have 2, you have an alternitive and you can remain
functional, not be dead in the water untill it's fixed

anyway the point is, the reason for the NBN has changed on the fly to suit
the situation of the governments position, thats the point

NBN is there to provide a common set of infrastructure in a market

which is now only going to be the "governments" option, the reason for
building it was to have two, so smaller players in the game could have an
alternitive option, this is the point