Here's a good post by Nick Kramer on the subject:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nickkramer/archive/2010/09/11/how-does-silverlight-compatibility-work.aspx

-----Original Message-----
From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of David Kean
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:22 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: RE: Is Silverlight dead ?

That's also not correct (SLR has always been a build of the CLR). Quirks mode
was added so that we don't break applications built against previous versions
when we make changes or fix bugs. An example of this recently was when my team
fixed a bug in Stream in 4.0 that caused a couple of Silverlight 2 & 3 apps to
break because they were relying on the old (buggy) behavior. The old behavior
kicks in when we see an app built against an earlier version. It has nothing to
do with the runtime.