On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Ian Thomas <il.tho...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I found this short piece http://bit.ly/8Xg61j "Smart grid security: Critical
> success factors" very informative. It was written by Shoaib Yousuf, who is
> the e-security strategy manager for Country Energy.
>
> Since the heaviest use of NBN will eventually be uses like smart grids (eg,
> electricity management) and health, it's nice to see some helpful
> information in the ICT press for a change.

It's nice to see I agree, but clearly the article isn't really
"technically useful". I.e. the *correct* implementation of the
aforementioned is what is important.

It's interesting to relate the advice in that article, to the known
info regarding Stuxnet:
 <http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/363057/why_did_stuxnet_worm_spread_/>

I.e. would those measures prevent a specific attack like stuxnet?
Depends how hard-line your are in implementing the rules listed. So
that's what is critical to convey, IMHO.

Also, Ian, if you have an interest in this area, you might be
interested in the following mailing list (SCADASEC)
 <http://www.infracritical.com/?page_id=53>

American-based, but useful to see what real-world operators are doing.

--
silky

http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/

of being this signature."