Private Enterprise AusCERT http://www.auscert.org.au/render.html?cid=2  WAS
the leading Computer Emergency Response Team for Australia, providing
computer information security advice to the Australian public, its members,
including the higher education sector. They WERE a single point of contact
for dealing with computer security incidents affecting or involving
Australian networks.

It cost to be a member.

The Commonwealth, as a part of its Cyber Security Strategy HAS TAKEN OVER
AustCert, now providing these services free. http://www.cert.gov.au/

Who should I report a cyber security incident to?

*       What is a cyber security incident?
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#whatcyber>
*       How do I report a cyber security incident?
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#howcyber>
*       Who needs to contact CERT Australia?
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#WhoneedstocontactCE

*       Home user
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#homeuser>
*       Small to medium enterprise (SME)
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#SME>
*       Large organisation
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#large>
*       GovCERT.au stakeholder or Critical Infrastructure organisation
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#Govcertaustakholder

*       Commonwealth or State and Territory government agency or
organisation
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#commonwealthstatete
rritory>
*       What will happen to information provided to CERT Australia about a
cyber security event?
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#whatwillhappen>
*       Will information provided to CERT Australia be treated
confidentially?
<http://www.cert.gov.au/www/cert/cert.nsf/Page/Incidents#willinformation>

I attended a brief presentation from a representative of the new department,
SmartGrid Security is very high on their agenda.

PG

<mailto:il.tho...@iinet.net.au> il.tho...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > I found this short piece  <http://bit.ly/8Xg61j> http://bit.ly/8Xg61j
"Smart grid security:

> > Critical success factors" very informative. It was written by Shoaib

> > Yousuf, who is the e-security strategy manager for Country Energy.

> > Since the heaviest use of NBN will eventually be uses like smart grids

> > (eg, electricity management) and health, it's nice to see some helpful

> > information in the ICT press for a change.

> It's nice to see I agree, but clearly the article isn't really
"technically useful".

> I.e. the *correct* implementation of the aforementioned is what is

> important.

> It's interesting to relate the advice in that article, to the known info
regarding

<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/363057/why_did_stuxnet_worm_spread_
/> http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/363057/why_did_stuxnet_wor

<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/363057/why_did_stuxnet_worm_spread_
/> > m_spread_/>

> I.e. would those measures prevent a specific attack like stuxnet?

> Depends how hard-line your are in implementing the rules listed. So that's

> what is critical to convey, IMHO.

> Also, Ian, if you have an interest in this area, you might be interested
in the