Hi Michael,

I have an Aeron and love it. If you get one make sure you get the lower
lumber support. I've had it for about 5 years now and have had no major back
issues since; I still have to do some exercises now and then if I've been
doing heavy lifting tasks or been improperly bending (such as cutting tonnes
of fire wood etc) . About 6 months prior to buying the HM chair, I did my
back BAD !  And I mean real bad. I couldn't even sit for about 5 days
because the nerves were being pinched and it would set my leg into a massive
cramp like spasm.  "agonizing" just starts to describe it. Lost sensation in
my outer left foot, but thankfully that came back. When I threw my back out,
my whole left side went into massive spasm. I remember not being able to do
anything, just having to ride it till it stopped. I actually thought I was
having a stroke. Very scary, as I was basically parallelized, with my body
going into a massive muscle spasm. Probably only lasted a minute or two, but
it really felt like very long time.

After that I went through all the rehab stuff. For a while there had a fancy
kneeling chair, then as I got better I moved to those balls. They are good
but a lot of work to keep a proper posture all day.  Sadly once the damage
has been done, you never get back 100%.  As I said, I still have to watch it
and do my exercises every now and then.  For the most part, most people
wouldn't know: I'm still active, bike riding, fire fighting, SES storm etc
(was cutting a huge tree of a car just the other weekend).  But if I knew
then what I know now, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying the right
chair.  Prior to doing my back I use to have one of the old heavy metal
framed office chairs with just an adjustable back rest (low back rest).

The way I justify the cost is pretty simple, I spend about 1/4 of my life in
this chair (still trying to get that below 20% <g>). I also spend about 1/3
rd in bed.  Spending more there is sensible, just like paying for airbags in
a car you only spend about 5% of your life in is.