the only plausible explanation I can think of to removing the start button
is - "After 20+ years of habitual usage we think its time you stop taking
an emotive dependency on the bottom left".

Kind of like a UX intervention by Microsoft and filled with Tough Love
hotline though. It's where consumers can call in and find local StartButton
Anonymous meetings whilst also potentially finding more sponsors to help
them should they get a craving post adoption.

It's still a bold move though. I mean if you're going to pick a fight you
pick a fight and with the combination of Win8 anti-Win-UI-look-alike they
have going is one shock to the system but then to follow through with a
removal of the start button haymaker? ... Heir Steve.S has das some ballz.

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com