I imagine in the short term you'd use VS2012 to build your Wix project.
Work in VS2013 (and set the Wix project to not build assuming it won't
open?)

I've not tried VS2013 at work yet. I went to install it and it forced me to
upgrade to IE10 (which may or may not be an issue.) the default browser in
this environment is IE 8 running in compatibility mode. Forcing me to
upgrade my browser was a bit of a concern but it seems running IE10 in IE7
mode gives me a similar browser experience as what I'm supposed to be
supporting. It's a dependency that has me concerned though. If I have to go
back to IE8 then I can't use VS2013 essentially. Browser version tie in?
Really?? wow.

Can't answer your setup question yet. Not tried it. Would love something
simpler than Wix. Wix is like having to learn a whole new programming
language... actually, that's simpler than learning Wix...