From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Stephen Price
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:34 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2013 and setup projects

It's simple. .Net is dead.

Long live the web!

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Greg Keogh
<g...@mira.net<mailto:g...@mira.net>> wrote:
There are certainly a lot of rude comments about Flexera and Microsoft's
disregard for developers requiring install software.

Indeed! I found a fair swag of angry comments from irritable and frustrated
people and journals during searches later in the day. I ran haphazard searches
for various relevant keywords and it's quite clear that something went weirdly
askew with setup projects after VS2010. You just can't get a straight answer
anywhere about why things changed in the way they did, or where things are
going. Even the "official" pronouncements are all shallow and evasive. I'm an
MSDN subscriber who tries to keep up with tech gossip in my spare time, and
even I didn't realise the vdproj was dropped last year and here I am wondering
where the hell it's all going now, and no one seems to know.

I even tried to find a clear description of the features (or limitations) of
InstallShield Limited Edition without luck. All you can find in searches are
pages of marketing bullshït telling you why you should upgrade to Professional,
Ultimate or Cosmic editions.

I'll ask in the Wix forum what the truth is about VS2013 integration with their
releases and let you know if I find anything useful.

Greg K