I didn't upgrade the OS during stress time, that happened last December
when I didn't read the BEWARE OF THE DOG notification.

I never said I dislike Material Design, it's actually quite pleasant (until
something else becomes the fad and it all changes overnight). I was only
unhappy that it arrived without warning. It also changed the appearance of
some command buttons/text and I didn't know what to touch. Although,
perhaps the control changes were caused by app and not OS updates (or
both). Textra (SMS app) was the worst offender as the buttons suddenly
turned into "darts" which looked like decorations or directions to other
screens, not commands at all.

When I first got the phone I tried to get SMS working, but it was once
again utterly incomprehensible and it seemed to be asking me to sell my
soul to Google. Web searches found countless other complaints and everyone
suggested I install and use Textra, which went well until a couple of
months ago they notified me that it was no longer free and a bright random
ad appears at the top of the contact list. Whoopie!

*GK*