Ok, my Dell XPS 9550 laptop has now been fixed. It turns out that
yesterday's motherboard replacement wasn't necessary - there was an
unlisted software driver that they needed to install (they told me to
reinstall windows. I didn't install the Dell payload. I think it was called
something like Display Link or something. Kicking myself for not paying
more attention.) Yesterday's techie was too much in a rush to diagnose the
issues.

So now the screen doesn't flicker, the system isn't crashing, and I am
using 2 external screens as well as my laptop screen in the office. (Yes, 3
screens total, and I can even add more.)

So if you are interested in getting a machine like mine, it is likely that
you will be fine, or if you get issues like I had, it will be fixable, even
if it requires a bit of patience! I paid just under $3k which included a 4
year next day on site warranty for a machine with a i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM,
and a 512GB Nvme pcie SSD. I am so relieved as the alternatives would have
been far more expensive. Now to upgrade it to 32GB RAM as I have VMs to run.