> After all this time it means that the browser is ripe for disruption, and
> it might not even be a variant of what we've been doing so far... But what
> is it?What would it look like?

A 21st century version of Java Applets would be a start. Run them in
something like a VM window. There are probably people in this group with
the skills to design the instruction set, generate compilers, write a
virtual cross-platform player, write designer plug-ins for popular IDEs
and get it ratified by ISO, IEEE, FIPS, NSA, FBI, GCHQ and the PTA -- *GK*