Sorry, another Greg rant to follow…

Web based apps are a slightly better form of dumb terminal app that you
could have had running on your DEC VT-100 (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT100) or IBM 3270 (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3270) terminal in the 1980’s.  I first
used a VT-100 in 1979, the modern browser has added graphics and
Javascript.  We have not moved that far forward in 38 years!

I have used reasonable interactive programs on VT-100 and 3270 terminals,
but programs that use the full power of the client machine’s power, provide
a significantly improved end user computing experience.

Plugins like Silverlight and Flash made web apps open to using a lot more
of the client machine’s resources to provide an interactive experience.
 But, the industry has not supported these plugins for some reason I fail
to fully understand.

If we cannot use Silverlight or Flash and fat clients are too hard /
expensive to install, you are back to the dumb terminal browser plus
Javascript again.

Look at compute intensive apps like 3D modelling or video editing, they
could never be done properly with today’s browser technology!

Web Assembly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebAssembly) may be a logical
sandboxed solution to these problems.  But I see Web Assembly as an
immature technology that needs evolution to be production application ready.

In the meantime, I will continue to program as much as I can, with as much
of the logic as possible running on the server where I have 100% control.
The client can ask for additional chunks of UI (html) to be sent down the
wire (AJAX) and I will avoid as much logic as possible in the client UI.

Or maybe even a win forms app, because it is fast, I have 100% control *and
it is not really that hard to install*!

Silverlight looked like such a logical solution to this problem.  Ten years
after Silverlight, we are not yet at the point where we can provide a
solution anywhere near as good.

Frankly when I look at the way this technology has moved in the last 20
years, I am very *VERY* disappointed by our industry!

All the best

Greg Harris