Unfortunately, getting Telstra to connect cable to our new place turned out
to be a nightmare. They were beyond incompetent. And now, because it
suddenly became an NBN area, they can't do it at all. And NBN Co have the 6
– 9 month delay for new connections. So we're stuffed.

Telstra mobile broadband charge outrageous amounts for data. We use them on
a shared plan with 32GB per month.

But for general data at home, we're using an Optus mobile broadband plan.
($140 per month for 280GB). It was the only thing we could get working that
had any chance of working. I avoided the "come in spinner" Optus options
that peak out at 12M download speed and went for the normal one. Mostly I
get around 18M down and 25 up (curiously). Dropouts pretty regularly, but
last night, barely any data moving.

I also checked out getting fibre connected. Free installation at present
with my 426 metre infrastructure shortfall.

But the prices for 3 years (minimum contract) were:

10M/10M – around $26,000

20M/20M – around $38,000

100M/100M – around $364,000

They are with 1:1 contention though. But I decided that I was after a
connection to a house, not a house.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax

SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com |http://greglow.me