Lynne
Interesting that you cite the (I presume) MIDIRS Informed Choice leaflets. I Mavis Kirkham's attended presentation at the ICM Congress in Vienna regarding the analysis of the effectiveness of the leaflets. Very big study. From memory the results have been published in the BMJ . Unfortunately, once again the findings were not positive as the analysis indicated that women continue to believe the MO rather than evidence based leaflets. Mavis concludes that auhtorative knowledge ( that is the dominant ideology) is all and that decisions are made in a climate of blame & manipulation and control & fear. This is not to say don't use them, develop your own etc. Just to be aware that they are not necessarily going to be as influencing on decision making as we may think ( or hope)!
Liz McCall
----- Original Message -----
To: Debby M
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: 'educated' women

Dear Debbie - I was saddened to read your posting but also so pleased you turned your experience into a positive learning one for yourself and others, as you shared with this list. Some years ago I had to do an assignment for uni where we had to choose a group of disadvantaged women and prepare a resource package for them, to make available for them in order to "maximise" their chances of a good birth (that means so many things to different people doesn't it?). Anyway, I chose privately insured women as a disadvantaged group and based my arguments on the high operative outcomes, that cannot be explained away by 'risk', and strengthened that argument using the way in which , and what information is provided to women by obstetricians (as women with Private Health insurance would get the majority of their information from their ob with that ever pervasive medical perspective).

I would love to talk to you more about this if you would be willing. Also I do agree that we (in Oz) need, as you say, some leaflets like the informed choice leaflets that are available in the UK. However, I was looking through them againh, the other day, and thinking that there are still some of the brochures which subtly (and some not-so-subtly) lead a woman 'that' way, and lead them away from listening to,  believing in and acting on their own bodily knowledge and what it tells them at this time.

Just my two cents worth - regards, Lynne