Date: Thursday, November 07, 2002 14:44:32
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Interesting fact

Whew, Rhonda.
I heard this morning from a friend about a friend of hers, aged 19, whose baby was 10 days late; ob insisted on inducing with gel, nothing much happening, into hosp., more drugs, foetal monitoring, on her back, strapped down to bed, more drugs, epidural, more of same, enormous episiotomy, cut artery, blood gushing in spurts, vacuum to head, two big men hauling as though it was a tug-of-war, massive lump on baby's head accompanied by ring of scars, she's stitched up, off her face, baby won't wake up, won't feed, she's being pumped every six hours for milk which they're somehow force feeding to baby. but hey, at least she's ok and the baby's ok, they tell her, and she repeats as she recovers from her torture. Yes, it's happening under our noses. In Adelaide, November, 2002.
...and I'm screaming inside for women and children...who are our future.

Aviva