MY mistake the website is: www.commonknowledgetrust.com  (forgot the trust part, how ironic). marilyn
----- Original Message -----
From: Jayne
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] birth and the power of the mind

Marilyn

How do I find the PINK KIT on this web site?  It seems to be about marketing research.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Jayne

Some people on this list recently recommended the PINK KIT which I purchased from www.commonknowledge.com and think is most inciteful on birth preparation especially in the instruction given to help a woman and her partner become familar with her pelvis and especially the muscles therein. It seems to me that when labours progress slowly, often times there is tension in those deep muscles that line the inside of the pelvis from the lumbar spine down to the pelvic floor. Relaxation of those muscles so that the baby can descend is quite an art. The birth process is always so interesting.

marilyn
An English obstetrician, Dr Grantly Dick-Read, summed it up beautifully in his book, "Childbirth without Pain". In a nutshell, he described the "Fear-Tension-Pain" Syndrome as programming by society on womenkind to expect pain. And what you expect is what you get.
The expectation of pain, introduces the "fight or flight syndrome". This increases blood flow to the limbs by 200% -300% and also produces adrenaline.
The effect of this, is to direct the blood away from the uterus and placenta where it's needed most critically. The uterus, which needs to expand gradually, is hit with the adrenaline, which constricts muscles. The sum total of this disast