Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 14:39:19
Subject: [ozmidwifery] birth and the power of the mind

I have often thought that the power of the mind would have a vast impact on labour and so forth. Haven't 'been there' for too many birth and each has been with women who were really sure, informed and so forth, but fear played a HUGE factor in my experiences.  Could people please share their knowledge on how fear can impact (or doesn't if the case may be) on labour lengths and especially in regards to vbac.  My vbac although supported and informed was still long and hard, but the second vbac was great as there was that self assuredly and understanding that my body knew what it was meant to do so my brain didn't fear what my uterus was doing.
Also does anyone have comments on "is simply providing information alleviate fear?"  When women are 'empowered through information' is this really all that needs to be done to empower, or does faith have an important role to play?  Does the faith or trust of those around the birthing women have an impact on her empowerment?
There's a couple of questions for those beautiful midwifery students to ponder (and the seasoned professional).
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 08 8388 6918