Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 9:45 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Afterbirth pains

With the children, I say things like… isn’t your mum clever…she know’s the right noises to help a baby out… this short circuits a whole conversation about pain.. the noise seems the most confusing for children in a society where we are very restrained with sound and this gives them a simple and powerful answer to their questions/confusion about the strange noise that their mum makes.

Sally Westbury

Homebirth Midwife

"In any society, the way a woman gives birth and the kind of care given to her and the baby, points as sharply as an arrowhead to the key values of the culture.

~Sheila Kitzinger-Women as Mothers

---