Dear Tina, Since working in home birth for the past 18 months or so, I have managed almost all of the third stages of birth physiologically.  The women who have anticipated "killer afterbirth pains" because of their previous experiences have - without exception - had less severe afterbirth pains following a physiological birth of the placenta.  The syntocinon given for active management seems to set the woman up for profound involution action and consequent increased pain.  Grandmulti's tell me the afterpains get worse with each birth, but several of the women I refer to above were having their sixth babies (and first home births and first physiological third stage), with dramatically less involution pain felt.  We routinely give arnica after the birth, use warm packs placed on the lower abdomen during feeds, and paracetamol taken before each feed (no more than the recommended dosage per 24 hours of course) is also helpful.  However, I feel confident you will experience less involution pain with a physiological third stage.  Good luck, and let us know how you get on.  Cheers, Lois

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 6:57 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Afterbirth pains

Dear All,

I am hoping you may be able to help.  I am expecting my fourth baby in approx. 2 weeks & need some advise.  I usually experience killer afterbirth pains that often seem worse than the labour.  For this birth I am attending the Birth Centre here in Brisbane & am planning to birth in the water & birth my placenta physiologically.  I have not had a physiological third stage in the past (nor a water birth) & I was hoping that this will make a difference to the afterbirth pains.  The acupuncturist I have been visiting has also suggested Chinese herbs (usually used in labour) to assist with this pain also... have any of you used Chinese herbs for something like this & if so, are they safe for breastfeeding?

Also, my husband & I are planning on having our 3 other children at our birth & I was thinking that if all goes to plan that they may like to touch the baby as he/she crowns & is born.  Do any of you experienced with siblings being present find that siblings want to be this involved?  I want my children to find this experience as wonderful & totally natural as I do.  I cannot put into words the way I feel about birth (as a woman, mother & midwife)... but would somehow like to share these overwhelming feelings with my children.  Do many of the children want to get into the birth pool / tub during the labour &/or birth?  I know all children are individual (my three certainly are)... but would not like to limit them & the way they would like to participate just because I have no idea about the normal reactions of children  I have never met anybody who has had their other children present at their births & I have never cared for any woman in that situation  (in fact almost everyone I tell of our plans look at me as though I've stepped from another planet).

Any suggestions welcome.... (I hope my questions make sense.... brains getting a bit foggy in the lead up to birth).

Tina H.