Wow, it's interesting that women are even restricted from eating solid foods while they're labouring... the Cochrane folks, Enkin et al. (2000) Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy & Childbirth. (3rd ed, Oxford University Press) have a whole section on nutrition in labour (pp. 259- 263).  It can be downloaded from http://maternitywise.org/pdfs/gecpc3ch29.pdf

The gist is "...except for women at high risk of needing general anaesthesia, the benefits of nourishment in accordance with women's wishes far outweigh the possible benefits of more restrictive policies." (p. 259).

In the two hospitals I've done my clinical placements, women have been encouraged to drink to thirst & eat to hunger (lightly).

Here's to evidence-based practice!

Jen
3rd year BMid student, Melbourne
JoFromOz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Women are allowed water, black tea, that kind of thing.  Whether epidural or not. Inductions are more strict though, water only.  I had to beg a doc to let my labouring woman have a barley sugar...

Jo