The Midwifery Dilemma: to fast or feed the labouring woman makes a few
interesting comments that you might find helpful. Basically, "it is believed
that the decline in the general anaethesia rate for obstetric patients and
the improvements in anaesthetic drugs and techniques over the past 50 years
have made an aspiration episode extremely rare". In 1946 Mendelson
recommended employing regional anaesthetic (epidural) rather than general
anaesthetic to help prevent morbidity and mortality from gastric aspiration
in labouring women.

It has been found that despite prolonged fasting time "a majority of
patients had large gastric volumes" prior to general anaesthetics. Guyton
(19860 found that 500 millilitres of gastric secretion per hour was produced
when associated with hunger. The stomach may produce 50 millilitres of
highly acidic fluid at times of stress and fasting. Phillips et al (1993)
stated that "fasting only increased the amount of acid secretion in the
stomach, while food and fluid reduce the production and dilute the pH level
of the gastric contents".

Basically epidural rather than general anaesthetic is considered the most
effective way to minimise the risk of aspiration. An interesting finishing
quote in the article from Sleatel & Golden (1999) comments "when the risk of
death from aspiration is put into perspective, it can be seen that a woman
has a three times greater chance of dying from a lightening strike than
dying from aspiration during childbirth"
I hope this helps.
kathy