One of the more interesting diets in labour that I witnessed was from a much villified
sub-cultural group in our society who ate fried potatoes dusted with a wide variety of
seasonings washed down with a foul black sticky liquid which they swore was the only
food they could keep down.

(Teenagers just love BBQ chips and coke, and even in labour found it a source of ready
calories!)

Trish

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jen=20Semple?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Wow, it's interesting that
women are even restricted from eating solid foods while they're labouring... the
Cochrane folks, Enkin et al. (2000) Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy & Childbirth.
(3rd ed, Oxford University Press) have a whole section on nutrition in labour (pp.
259- 263).&nbsp; It can be downloaded from http://maternitywise.org/pdfs/gecpc3ch29.pdf

Trish David FACM
Senior Lecturer Midwifery and Nursing
Monash University School of Nursing