On Tue, 9 May 2000, Dave Lippincott wrote:

> >Sounds like another lawsuit in the making.
>
> Why?  Palm distributes the GCC compiler, the SDK and CDK for free. Or you
> can buy CodeWarrior.  Whats the difference?  With CE you still need Visual
> C++ which cost about as much as CodeWarrior (unless you know someone who
> works for MS and can get MS apps for 10% of retail)

I may be wrong but Microsoft has an embeded Visual C 3.0, which
Microsoft claims (on their website) includes the Visual Basic and
embeded Visual C++.  They say it is a replacement for their previous
need of CE toolkit and Visual C++ and Visual Basic.  And it is now FREE.

> What MS really needs to do in order to gain market share is give away the OS
> and hand held.  Although the flaw in that plan is it sill requires someone
> to actually use the thing ;-)

Didn't have to for Windows.  Don't have to here.  Remember, all users
care about is using the devices and the apps that are available.  They
really don't care what OS they use, they just happen to use what is
dominent.  Users don't care if the OS is free.  Market share is gained
by providing what users want.  Larger screen, color, sound.  I know that
is contrary to Palm philosophy, but the users wants is what forced palm
to come out with color.