On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bradly J. Barton wrote:

> purpose. I agree with the previous poster, the Pocket PC platform is another
> nice try, but shows just how clueless Microsoft is to what the PDA market is
> all about: Simplicity. People don't want a palm sized laptop, its
> impractical. They want something that is small, easy to use, and fast.

HP Jornada 548: About same size as Palm, larger color display, faster,
more RAM, small, eay to use and has a ton of free apps.  This is NOT the
older CE type of device.

> > And now you can write programs for FREE.
>
> Is it truly free or are they giving away the "extension" libraries that
> allow you to use your Visual C++ compiler to cross compile for the hand held
> platform?

No, according to HP and Microsoft, it's FREE (minus 7.95 shipping) for
the CD which includes the SDK, Toolkit, Visual Basic and Visual
C++.  This is a PDA (CE) development environment only.  They are not
giving away their Windows32 Dev Environment.  They already have that OS
sewed up.