.Net is mainly C# and VB.Net.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Loobey [mailto:k...@uoregon.edu]
Sent: 08 February 2009 22:11
To: Palm Developer Forum
Subject: Re: forum heart beat check

On Sunday 08 February 2009 13:54:46 Philip Sheard
wrote:
> I too have a field sales app, and I take your point
entirely. There will
> always be a demand for handhelds, albeit a small
one. HP has introduced the
> 114 and 214, and Palm is still knocking out the
Tungsten E2 and the T|X.

> I would not advise you to switch to WM at all. But if
you do, avoid .Net

What was the problem with .Net?  That is C# right?

> CF
> at all costs. That is the way I went, my project
collapsed in a pile of
> poo. I would recommend unmanaged C++, and ATL
rather than MFC.

use Palms with a receipt
> printer for our Point of Sale terminals for customer's
delivery drivers.
>    They are not likely to upgrade to a cell phone.  It
works on the
> Centro and Treo, but we don't officially support cell
phones.  We
> provide are customers with handhelds, our software,
and the receipt
> printers.
>
> Microsoft still sells handhelds with Windows Mobile
(for a while yet).
> There was talk about jumping to Microsoft, but that
means the handheld
> developers (There are two of us.) have to quickly
learn the SDK and
> rewrite the software in a very short time period.  If
Microsoft handheld
> will also go the way of the dodo, then the effort of
switching would be
> wasted as well.
>
> I don't really see people printing receipts from an
iPhone or Android
> phone.  Even in the Apple store, the employees carry
Symbol Palms for
> scanning barcodes and inventory control.  It is
possible that they could
> not easily adapt their software for the iPhone?  I
have never seen
> anyone use a cell phone for "professional" handheld
applications.

> Do you think cell phones may be the wave of the
future with WebOS,
> Android, iPhones, and such replacing Symbol Palms
for POS?  I don't know
> whether or not we want a device that has a monthly
fee or a contract.

> I am ready to switch, but I would like to know to
recommend to the
> decision makers at my company.
>
> Ben
>
> Philip Sheard wrote:
> > I agree with you about Windows Mobile. I used to
be a Microsoft Gold
> > Certified Partner, and I jumped ship because it was
such a lousy OS.
> > Companies like HP and HTC will continue to make
WM devices, and guys in
> > suits will still buy them, but there is no more future
in WM that there