> > I guess, what I'm asking
> > is this: if in a year or two practically all PPC development is being done
> > with the .NET Compact Framework, is it possible that the ordinary Win32 API
> > could just go away?  (Or is .NET still using the Win32 API under the hood).
>
> Well, like Aaron said: you just have to write your own DAL (Device
> Abstraction Layer) and create all your development stuff above this layer.
> So, if the common Win32 API just disappear and just de .Net (ergh...)
> framework stays, just write your DAL as a .Net application.

exactly :) adding new platforms = just implementing the DAL on the new
platforms. if you have done it right, it shouldn't be that hard, and,
the existing code should just re-compile.

> > Sorry if this seems to be getting off-topic, but what I'm trying to get at
> > is something that may concern a lot of Palm developers: how can we write
> > code for the Palm OS that's portable without too much trouble to PocketPC?
>
> DAL is the answer. Some people usually do this without knowing the concept
> behind it. Actually, handling the event loop is, IMHO, the most difficult
> part to create, for the DAL. After that, everything is easy to do.

even better is to rid the event loop totally. use a callback/listener
approach. let the DAL handle all the event specific stuff :)

---
Aaron Ardiri                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CEO - CTO                                           +46 70 656 1143
Mobile Wizardry                      http://www.mobilewizardry.com/