On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> > Oracle's website continues to tell me I do not have an appropriate
> > version of flash installed on my browser unless I use Internet Explorer
> > under MS Windows.
>
> Same here. How ridiculous is it to require *flash* to manage support
> tickets? Sheesh. They've got an "html only" version with "limited
> features" I haven't looked at yet, hopefully that will include updating
> tickets.

I got a voicemail from an oracle employee earlier today offering to help me
out with their support portal, gotta give some points for proactiveness on
that :).

I didn't actually speak with him, but it did prod me to poke at it some
more, and it turned out my problem was caused by the firefox flashblock
extension. I *never* run flash by default, given its horrid security record
and minimal usefulness. Usually flashblock leaves an empty box on the page
where the applet would have been, which you can click on to enable it if
you actually want it. That generally works fine, but I guess oracle is
doing some extra smart checks and deciding flash just won't run and thus
never even tries to load the applet. Explicitly whitelisting
support.oracle.com in the flashblock configuration resolves the problem,
and so for the record, I was able to access the flash interface of the
oracle support site using firefox under linux.

Of course, I still don't want to ;). Flash, meh.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu