Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:23 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

I see that "Gem" is not in the extended release, I guess due to the  gem
build issues.

Since the ftgl and freetype libs don't change much should they just be
compilied manually and copied onto the compile farm? Looks like the  OSX
gem terminal build is pretty close to being ready according to  IOhannes.

CVS or native-OS package management are the only options for the auto- build farm. FTGL and FreeType should just be checked into CVS, i.e. GemLibs, if they are not included in Fink/Debian/Fedora Core

honestly i do not see a reason why _i_ should have to go through all the troubles to make FTGL compile from the command line on a platform that does not natively support this. i _do_ have managed to build FTGL via autoconf/make, but it is not the _official_ way to build it and the build might have issues (e.g. i used the X11 openGL which might not be such a good idea in general). building freetype2 on os-x via autoconf is pretty easy, but (afaik) it _needs_ to be "install"ed in order to function properly, which involves privileges i would not grant on an autobuild farm. (i might be wrong here though)

the simplest way i could think of (in terms of maintainability) is to provide binary GemLibs packages for special platforms:
e.g. GemLibs/lib/ftgl.a
and  GemLibs/include/freetype2/

so we just need to add "-I${GEMLIBS}/include" and "-L${GEMLIBS}/lib" to the default make-flags.

another possibility would be to not have FTGL-support on the autobuilt Gem (after all font-rendering is really an optional feature).

mfg.adsf.
IOhannes