I isntalled the PO editor, it works quite well.

Which one? It would be good to keep tabs on which ones work well. I didn't have very good luck with POedit, but I didn't try that hard. gtranslator seemed nicer. LocFactory Editor is good too, but non-free and Mac OS X only.

Poedit, I think it's helping.

any tcl/tk guru here? doesn tcl/tk documentation exist in several languages? that might help a bit, right? (I looked briefly for something, but couldn't find much)

There are some people here who know enough Tcl. But I don't think Tcl knowledge is needed for any translations. What's the question?

just in case tcl terms like "canvas" or something else menu-related would already be translated, it would be easier to get that information.