Robert:

> I guess I agree.  The flaming and profanity is simply not needed.   There are
> ways to communicate
> strong feelings without being so obnoxious.

I have far less problems with heated arguments than with personal attacks rooted in
personal issues instead of the topic discussed. Separating the person from the
argument is the name of the game.

>That said, it is clear (in
> hindsight) that pentax has made some
> marketing errors over the years that threaten their future.   Ten years of
> cameras that looked like plastic junk
> (the P series and SF series come to mind) couldn't have helped.
>
> Having used Pentaxes for 35 years, it seems that pentax has tremendous engineers
> who invent the niftiest
> new ideas, and some competitor makes the money exploiting the idea.
>
> We all have significant investments in Pentax Iron, and while thier failures are
> frustrating, their failures are also
> our potential failure, becuase if Pentax flicks out of  the SLR business, our
> investment in glass ends up
> in the land fill.
>
> If  Pentax  (and pentax users) are going to survive over time we must have a
> migration path that remains open.
> This implies a need for some serious shoring up on the high end.   Presently
> there is no logical successor
> to the LX, and no logical successor to the P1Z, and there is no migration path
> to digital.
>
> The photokina displays of a high end silver based camera and a companion digital
> model are clearly what
> is needed.   We can only hope that Pentax goes forth with these and finds a
> 'feature/price balance' that
> provides us with a good value and sells well.    If they we we all have a
> future, otherwise we need to be
> wishing for a 'canon' adapter for our Pentax lenses.   The zx-5(n) is a great
> camera, and worthy of a nomination for best in its class, but it and its
> crippled children (the zx30-50) won't sustain Pentax in the
> SLR business for much longer.  We are now without dispute in the 21st century
> and those models are clearly from the previous century.

Brilliant post. The good news is that Pentax have a new boss recruited from their R&D
dept. Among the first thing he did was starting an advertising campagne where Pentax
heritage in slr design is stressed and where they promise to be back in that field. I
can only assume that the somewhat bleak 90's was a consolidation period under the
previous boss after heavy losses at the end of the 80's, where their slr sales simply
folded.

Pål

go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.