I'm Ilford all the way, too  - particularly like the Multigrade IV RC
pearl.  For starting out, certainly,
using the RC paper is a time and agony saving route.   One health tip -
use clear white vinegar
for a stop in the dark room, about a teaspoon or so to a quart of
water.  The stuff you buy
is wickedly toxic.

Have fun!
annsan