Rob wrote:

> I also execute similar set of real-world-shooting tests to determine the
> capabilities of my lenses, a range of which can be seen at the pentax lens
> gallery. But I find it interesting that you would test the lens less the hood
> since in my mind I have always envisaged the hood as being an integral part
> of the optical system, not using a hood is sort of akin to removing the rear
> element and expecting the lens to perform adequately :-)

Well, if you shoot that way, then you should test that way. But didn't we
just have a case on this list of a lens hood (on an FA 35/2) CAUSING flare,
with the problems disappearing when the hood was removed? As I say, if you
run the trials, I think you'll be surprised. Sometimes there is no
difference, sometimes there's a lot of difference.

--Mike

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.