I'd have to say Mike is right on in his New Old Stock comments.

I worked for 10 years for a children's book/game/toy manufacturer.
The $15-$25 books were always hell to forecast.
The Sales department was always optimistic,
hoping for low costs from a big production run.
Doing forecasting and inventory control,
we ended up with 10 years inventory of some books.

The point is, when you make 10,000 or 20,000 of something,
the setup costs on production runs eat you alive.

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Pal wrote:

 > REPLY:
 > If anyone could put up a low volume production line, its Pentax. Look at
the
 > lens line: Most of the 35mm system lenses are low volume items. In
addition,
 > you have the medium format lenses, also low volume. Pentax possibly make
 > around 100 different lenses. The vast majority are low volume items.
Pentax do
 > indeed have the production means to make such items. I sort of doubt that
eg.
 > Canon has.

 This is not how lenses are manufactured. If a company sells 200 lenses a
 year it doesn't mean that they produce 200 lenses that year on any
 "low-volume production line." Many lenses are made in batches by devoting
 production facilities to a "run" of them and then sold out of N.O.S., or new
 old stock. The company evaluates sales, makes a projection (educated guess
 about future sales), crunches the numbers, decides on a batch size, and
 evaluates whether a run will be profitable. Lower-selling items have sales
 projections that in some cases stretch to a decade and more. Many products
 are made in one run only.

 With all camera companies, many of the items you buy as "new" were not
 manufactured recently. In some cases, I've known of specific products that
 have sold out of N.O.S. for more than 20 years.

 This explains a few things the consumer market sometimes sees. For example,
 when Nikon introduced its AF lenses, there were chronic intermittent
 shortages of certain items for several years--that's because Nikon badly
 underestimated demand and was caught short of product with no production
 facilities scheduled to be assigned to those products again until an
 already-decided future date. It also explains steep price hikes in lenses,
 as when the Zeiss 35mm shift lens went from $600+ to about $2200 in the
 space of a year in the early '90s. What happened was that Kyocera had been
 selling N.O.S. made in the '70s, ran out of them, and ordered a new batch
 from Zeiss. Zeiss charged Kyocera based on then-present production costs,
 which meant that Kyocera had to sell the new-run lenses for much more than
 it had been charging for the previous stock.

 This also explains why decisions have to be made about whether to
 discontinue a product. It's not a question of stopping a production line
 that's been running continuously for years: it's a decision about whether
 they think it will be profitable to make another run. For example, Nikon
 Special Optics used to make two enlarging lenses called the Apo-El-Nikkors.
 The less expensive one sold for $2,300. These sold out of N.O.S. for many
 years. When Nikon Special Optics finally ran low and investigated the
 feasibility of another run in the mid -'90s, it was determined that the new
 production would have to be retailed for $25,000 per lens! So of course the
 product was "discontinued." In fact, it hadn't been made in decades.

 Tooling sometimes forces these decisons to me be made. For instance, when
 Mamiya discontinued the C330 TLR, it was because the old tooling had worn
 out and would not stand another run. So the company had to make the decision
 whether to re-tool. But that's expensive, and sales had been steadily
 declining. For a while they said yes, they would, then no, then yes, and
 finally they decided that future sales and profits would simply not repay
 the investment, so the product (regretfully for Mamiya, since it was a
 signature product) was allowed to be "discontinued." However, when Beseler
 was forced to make the same decision with the 23C enlarger, it waffled in a
 similar fashion for a bit, but it made the opposite decision, and that's why
 we got the 23CIII.

 Many times, when you buy new Pentax lenses or any other camera product, you
 are not necessarily buying a product that has been newly manufactured. Nor
 can you make meaningful assumptions about the sizes of production lines or
 batch volumes based on annual sales figures.

 --Mike  >>