[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 2/17/01 2:34:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << For example, what looks good and sharp at 5x magnification may not look so
> good at 10x magnification, and may look awful at 16x or 20x  >>
>
> Ah, another slide shooter's affectation, looking at things at 10x, 16x and
> 20x power. <ha!>

Actually, it's a b+w printer's reality. Prints that I like get blown up
to 11x14 (~10x), and when I upgrade my darkroom, I plan to print up to
20x24. Clients regularly buy 11x14's, shot in low light wide open.

Shel asked a valid question.

Personally, I find that AF fails me almost without exception when I'm
shooting wide open. The simple act of recomposing the frame after
locking-on is enough to throw the focus off slightly (slightly = enough
to piss me off). There's very little room for error with a 85/1.4.

For a while, I tried to lock the focus, then fine-tune it by moving back
and forth, but I find I have better success holding still and MF'ing.

Of course, at smaller apertures the DOF is more than enough to cover
that small error.

tv