----- Original Message -----
From: "tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: February 17, 2001 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: Autofocus Question

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 2/17/01 2:34:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > << For example, what looks good and sharp at 5x
magnification may not look so
> > good at 10x magnification, and may look awful at 16x or 20x
>>

> > Ah, another slide shooter's affectation, looking at things
at 10x, 16x and
> > 20x power. <ha!>
>
> Actually, it's a b+w printer's reality. Prints that I like get
blown up
> to 11x14 (~10x), and when I upgrade my darkroom, I plan to
print up to
> 20x24. Clients regularly buy 11x14's, shot in low light wide
open.

Actually, it is the reality of any professional photographer who
does portraiture for weddings in particular, and also for the
professional who does product photography. There have been more
than one time when the client has "changed their mind" on me
_after_ the shooting is done and made me wish I had used a
larger format than 35mm.
"Gee Mr. Robb, we like the shots you did for the brochure so
much, we want some really big prints for our trade show. Can we
have some 20x24s done from those negatives?"
The moral? Sweat the details if you are truly professional.
Or, forget about satisfying the client afterwards.