I share your uneasiness about photographing the indigent, Dan.  As I posted
less than an hour ago, I think we should afford the homeless a shred of
privacy - they may be "in public", but the unfortunate reality is that bus
shelters and doorways are their homes, and really should be seen as
"private places".

That being said, when is "exploiting misery" acceptable - if ever?  PJ's
and documentary or reportage photogs take photos of people in pain all the
time - accident victims, those grieving such accidents, the victims and
survivors of disasters, the poor of war-torn areas - all of those seem fair
game.  Even if a photographer is taking pictures out of a sense of social
justice, is it fair to do so at the expense of such unfortunate
individuals?  When and where is "the line" crossed?

I'm not taking you to task on your comments, Dan, but I've often wondered
where the line is, or if it even exists.  As I posted before, there are
rare occasions that I've asked street people if I can take their pictures,
and sometimes they say yes, so I do (I won't if they say "no").  But, if
one is suffering from a major mental illness, is such consent to be relied
upon?  Am I just asking to assuage my guilt in exploiting them?

Like I said, genuine questions here, not just a philosophical debate.

regards,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert