Hi,

> When someone comes along looking for something interesting
> to shoot, their interest in you is most likely in exploiting
> your misery for their benefit.

I broadly agree with the arguments you put forward to support this,
but as usual there are shades of grey (not just harsh, grainy, black &
white <g>). I'd like to present a slightly extended line of argument
which justifies a certain amount of admitted exploitation in the name
of honesty.

David Hurn in one of his books talks about covering a situation
honestly, and trying to show it the way it is. He gives the example of
somebody covering a 3-hour demonstration during which nothing much
happens at all, everything is peaceful and well-ordered, but at one
point there is a fight between extremists and the police, which lasts
for about 3 minutes and results in a few arrests. Honest coverage
would barely include the fight because it is insignificant relative to
the rest of the demo. However, many sections of the press (and other
institutions) would concentrate their attention on the fight because
of its dramatic and photogenic impact. Other people might pretend it
never happened at all, because it doesn't suit their interests.

Now, when I travel to places like Africa, Romania or India, people
often ask me, or tell me, not to photograph some of the uglier aspects
of their country. In general my motivation in going to these places is
that they are interesting, and I want to know something about them and
go behind the obvious cliches like the Taj Mahal and colourful
priests. I try to come back with a balanced view of what I've seen,
but if anything I accentuate the positive - particularly in a place
like Ethiopia, which has had a very bad press over the years. Balanced
coverage, in my opinion, includes showing some, but by no means all, of
the ugly things that I've seen, but I hope it's done with sensitivity
towards the individuals concerned.

In the same way I hope that my photographs of my own country are a
reasonably well-balanced portrait, although I think I'm entitled to be
harder on my own country than I am on others. This means that I do
sometimes photograph homeless people - I can think of 2 occasions
over the last 5 or 6 years, and they are probably more amusing than
anything else. One shows a guy sitting on a car seat in the middle of
a crowded pavement, reading a broadsheet newspaper; the other shows a
man lying on the pavement luxuriantly smoking a cigarette, while
covered in pigeons, so they're not really about misery, but they are
probably somewhat exploitative. The pigeon guy acquiesced in the
photograph, the other guy didn't know I took it.

Now, returning to Hurn, he talks about the photographer being honest
to his subject, and defines honesty by contrast with its opposite: as
a photographer you should know when you are being dishonest or untrue
to your subject and to your instincts, and act (or not) accordingly.

---

 Bob

"Our heads are round so that our thoughts can fly in any direction"
Francis Picabia