Okay so you have chosen to continue the thread as a discussion of
photographic ethics. I can jump in on that. Let's ask the question; do we
applaud or condemn the "Afghan Girl" image of Steve McCurry? This was a
fourteen year old orphan girl in a refugee camp. Because of this image the
whole world's awareness of the needs of the Afghani people was raised. I
would not know of many of the needs of the less fortunate had it not been
for an article, photograph, or video that brought another individual and
their story into my knowledge. Are we exploiting someone when we capture an
image of them? First of all what have we taken from them. If they are
walking the street they can be easily see by the eye. What is the difference
between seeing with the eye and capturing what is already easily seen on
film. Their image is still readily available to eye, camera, or video.
Here's the question; what have we taken from them. You know these people
don't want to be treated differently. If you would take a photo of a
merchant on the street, or a street musician, or just a passerby, why not
someone in difficult circumstances. I'll tell you what they say to me. They
don't say, "don't take my picture". The say, "don't act like you don't see
me". They want to be people like anyone else, with presence and dignity. Not
treated like they are not something to be looked at.  Here's one more way to
look at it. If you walked into any homeless shelter or mission and asked
those with sound mind, "would you mind being photographed on the street if
you knew that it would in some way bring about help for you and others like
you", what do you think their answer would be.

I agree on this point. The person who takes a photographic image of these
individuals, and profits from the image, and then returns nothing to those
whose images were used (or at least those like them), should reconsider
their ethics. I think the answer is to give back from what you take, be
generous, share and care. Remember the old saying a picture is worth a
thousand words? Well consider the impact an image has on the heart of
someone who needs a reason to lend a hand to help someone less fortunate.
Those of us who refused to photograph them out of conscience; did we go back
and help them in some way anyway. If so they probably would have invited
your photograph. Especially after you treated them to a warm meal and a hot
shower.

Glen