--- Brad Dobo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, we all talk about Pentax and their
> position, rank and financial,
> and what they will be in the future, and
> really......what about that darned
> DSLR?  What I'm thinking is, we as a whole group are
> the serious amateurs,
> or professionals using Pentax.  We are somewhat
> representative.  If we don't
> buy all the latest and greatest from Pentax, how can
> we expect them to
> develop for us, a DSLR.  We'd be the ones with the
> want and money to buy
> one.  But Pentax needs money and a reason to develop
> and manufacture and
> sell worldwide a DSLR.  Are we, in general terms,
> helping them do that?  If
> they know their real fans like the old over the new,
> and buy used, why put
> the effort into a DSLR?  Or a better new 35mm
> flagship for that matter?

Hey Brad,

That point has been made before on this list and it's
a good one. One idea is that Pentax didn't really do a
good job throughout the series of cameras they
released. The K, M, and A series seem to have been
rather well received. The P, SF, and to a large extent
PZ series camera were not so well received. When
comparing specs, I've often wondered why they even
bothered with the P series. The SF cameras are rather
ungainly with poor to mediocre autofocus and loud
shutters. The PZ-1p stands out as a good/popular body
though most would agree it was kept around far too
long. Between the Super Program and the ZX-5n, we're
talking about 10 years and around 10 bodies that
were...well, blech!

So I think there's a fan base that never moved along
with Pentax through the series of bodies. I've met
several Nikon photographers who talk of going from F3
to F4s to F5/F100 or FM/FE to FM2/FE2 to N8008 to N90s
to F100. All the while, they progressed with the
manufacturer. Nikon and Canon have earned their fan
base through the years. I think Pentax lost alot of
people after the ME Super/Super Program/LX years. They
just stayed put with the cameras they had.

Mark