Compare Pentax, Canon, & Nikon.
To Nikon the pro nich is 2-part -- Photojournalist and large format.
    Tough to argue with a Nikkor-S or Nikkor-W.
    (Of course one might rather have an APO-Symmar.  But I'm not rich
enough for either.)
To Canon it's the PJ market -- esp. the sports photographer.
    Fast AF.  Solid bodies.
To Pentax it's the studio and location photographer -- medium format & 1p.
    The PZ-1p, 5n, 3 & 7 follow with a feature set suitable for
    the same type of work.  They're great optics with practical
    functionality for the niche that Pentax likes.
    I think the 1p is certainly as durable as the Canon models.

Neither C or P do anything with Large Format.
Canon would rather be in office equipment.
Nikon and Pentax like medical stuff.

I agree with the need to update the body.  But it's not as easy as just adding
a new sensoror motor.  The engineering is significant.

For anyone shooting 35mm weddings, the 1p's (a) ambient flash
                                             (b) hyer modes, &
                                             (c) rapid winder and AF
    make it a practical camera for that purpose.
    Perhaps C & N have since equaled it.  But they don't have Medium Format to
    accompany it.

If one wants to be a PJ professional, switching to C or N is not objectionable.
BUT
for medium format studio professional work,
      or as (what I call) a 35mm technical field camera,
            (because of [a] the great layout &
                        [b] extensive feature set of the 1p)
      Pentax is definitely in the ball park.

Canon & Nikon aren't even playing.

The short of it is:  Use the camera best suited to the niche you are in.
It's just equipment.

Collin