Ralf wrote [indirectly about the MZ-S]:

>Versatility and freedom
> of choice isn't their thing.

Actually, I find that the MZ-S is exactly about versatility. Its  far more versatile
than the Z-1p. I never really expected a camera that could be this close to the ideal
machine for me. I always assumed that a modern multipoint AF camera was going to be
big.
I do basically four types of photography:

a) Birds
Here the MZ-S is great. The improved AF system is an obvious advantage over the Z-1p.
Its interface as well. For bird photography with long lenses aperture priority mode
rules - it gives you the fastest possible shutterspeed at all times and also of course
make you able to control depth of field precisely. However, for birds, exact metering
and exposure adjustment is often needed. No multipattern metering system deals well
with birds. Birds may often be black or white against various backgrounds that may
influence exposure; any center weighted or multipattern meter will often screw up. The
instant switch from hype manual to aperture priority mode on the MZ-S is ideal for
this. I can spot meter a particular area of a bird and assign it to any tonality I
want. The bird can hop around or swim but I will always get the correct exposure as
long as the bird is in the same light, regardless of a changing background or variable
reflections from water. In any auto mode I would have to use exposure compensation
constantly and variably. With the press of a button I'll be back in auto mode with the
MZ-S. It offers unsurpassed manual control and speed of operation.

b) Landscape
Landscape for me means basicall steep mountains and mountain tops. The MZ-S is an
unique package for this also, offering its small size and light weight plus all those
nifty features. Not at least does it offer mirror prefire wich removes the need for a
remote release. It also stays on when the camera is turned off and you don't have to
wade through a long meny system everytime you want to turn it on; just flip a switch.
Its user interface is also better than the Z-1p when the camera is on a tripod.

c) Macro
The MZ-S flashsystem with wireless remote and flash synch at all speeds wins hands
down. It compact size also means that its easier to transport out in the field.

d) Aurora borealis
The nifty data imprinting help under these difficult exposure conditions. The add on
batterypack made the juice stay longer in extreme cold. The add-on bulb timer function
is ideal for these shooting condition. Not to mention the illuminated lens mount;
really useful. The only thing missing is OTF metering but the MZ-S is far better here
than the Z-1p.

For me the MZ-S is the most versatile camera I know about. Its certainly more flexible
than the Z-1p for me.

Pål