Have you thought of having someone from your local newspaper come out to do
a story? There's nothing like a little public embarassment to get things
moving. Does anyone around you have this same situation?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr E D F Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: The Heat and Sand

We have spoken to the health inspectors. They come and measure the sound
levels from time to time. But before they arrive with their equipment
someone always lets the company know ... and magically the noise drops to
reasonable levels, or even stops completely. This has been going on for
years. But now that the dunes have been moved to our border things are
really bad. Sand and noise all day and half the night. Their permit allows
work from 5 am to 10 pm, but they sometimes go on past midnight. And where
do you find an inspector at that time? I've written to the Environmental
Minister directly, twice, over the last five or six years and she, then he,
didn't even bother to acknowledge my letters. The European Union is our only
hope in all this and I'm busy trying to find out how things should be done.
I have a friend in the Jyväskylä Environmental Centre and he has tried to
help ... to no avail. Money is all that matters around here. Our few
beautiful hectares are becoming a worthless nightmare and we have no
alternative. All the plants in Aino's lovely garden are white with sand
almost all the time.

And its getting hotter by the minute ... 30.5C in this room now.

Don

Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery