Treena,

One woman who lived in a house on the other side of this mess went quietly
nuts. Poor Anna-Maija, she tried so hard to mobilise people to take action
against the nuisance. The owner of the cement company started a campaign of
hatred and a flood of rumours about her and she simply couldn't take the
pressure. She was a respected school teacher until she complained about the
quarry. She became quite deranged and paranoid and that was the end of her.
She and her husband moved away. The only other houses nearby (most are
summer cottages) are along the lake shore, the other side of the main road
that runs past the pits. They have relative peace because there is a high
bank with thick vegetation along the shore road, built to hide the operation
from public view.

As far as the cement factory is concerned we are the biggest liars and
trouble makers in the village. The amount of bad-mouthing we get is
astounding. But up to now I've been able to simply get on with my own thing
and not bother. But I'm being buried alive now. I have to do something. I
like your idea but we have no NY Times or Times (London) -- our broadsheets
are a bit old fashioned. I'll have to try a tabloid.

Don
Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery