På søndag, 14. september 2003, kl. 18:49, skrev Anders Hultman:

Bob Blakely:

 I've seen people here talk about the resolution of lenses. I fully
 understand the physics behind resolution of both digital image
 sensors and film, but what really is resolution when talking about
 lenses?

Lens resolution is defined as the number of resolution target lines per
millimeter that can be discerned in the film. Discerned means that the
individual lines from the target can be seen, however slight and fuzzy.
Where the lines cannot be discerned, a (theoretically) 50% gray is observed.
The lines are black and the spaces between parallel lines are white and of
the same width as the lines.

To me, this sounds like this would be a property of the film, not a property of the lens? I mean, with higher definition film, a film with finer grain or whatever, it would be possible to show more detail, wouldn't it?

Or is it really the lens itself that blurs the lines?

With a good film, the lens sets the limit, especially when using small apertures.

DagT