Let me get some of my confusion straightened out, before I go into
overload!  <g>

Some sources I've read and some posts I've read here quote line pairs
per mm, while others speak of lines per mm as resolution values.
I have observed some posters using one value when they meant the other,
and I doubt they intend to.
I think we ought to stick with one system of measurement, for clarity,
and I'm intending to start with me!

I assume a resolution test target would have varying values of line
widths and spacing, for evaluation purposes, but for illustration, can I
assume a "line pair" is defined as two black lines of equal width
separated by white or grey space the same width as the lines?
For instance, if I were to specify a .01mm line width, a line pair would
be two .01mm black lines, with a white space of .01mm width separating
them. The "pair" would then have an .03mm overall width.

In attempting to equate this to lines per mm values, I will assume the
width of one line, plus a space of equal width as being a 'unit' and
however many units fit into a 1.0 mm space is the "lines per mm" value.

That being so, given the same line widths in each case, for the same
resolution capability one would have double the "lines per mm" value
than "line pairs per mm." Agreed?

In  other words, a lens with a resolving power of 25 line pairs per mm
can also be said to be able to resolve 50 lines per mm. Same actual
resolution capability, different units.

Is one of them any industry-accepted "standard?"

keith whaley