I shoot sporting type of events with my DSLR and i use a sturdy monopod for most
of it.Unless i really need to move around a lot then i hand hold.Its not bad to do at
1/1000 or 1/1250.
I sometimes shoot pictures for work related things and then i use a tripod,Manfotto
028 as
we tend to take a series of shots in a panoramic setting.
The noise on the D1 is poor past iso 400-800 and time is really bad.I hear the D2H
takes
care
of this much better.

Dave

                                > amateur or pro has nothing to do with it.
depends on what you do. i shoot