On 17/9/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>istD or any equivalent DSLR seems to reproduce decent
>outputs at higher ISO(say 400+) speeds.
>
>In outdoor photography, for an amature photographer,
>if the focal length of the lens is less than 135mm, I
>think tripod may not be a real necessicity.
>
>This comes as big relief for me because I need not
>have to carry my 3KG tripod for hiking.
>
>I agree tripod is needed for long teles like 300mm/2.8
>because their weight makes it difficult to do handheld
>photography.
>
>I would like hear other opinion on this.
>
>Thanks
>Ramesh

Au contraire mon frere.

In fact because the effective focal length is increased on each lens due
to the smaller sensor size (on less than 'full-frame' sensor cameras), a
tripod may become more essential, depending on the type of photography done.

So a 50mm lens acts like a 75 or 80mm lens, and the old yard stick of 1/
50th of a second handheld on this lens would not apply. It would be 1/
75th or so.

I shoot landscapes on a DSLR and just as with film, a tripod is pretty
much essential kit.

The difference is, when I stop for a pint, I can switch to 800 ISO on the
same camera / lens and shoot available light characters supping beer.

To be honest, I find the same photographic principles apply to digital as
they do to film in practice. Which makes the transition on the ground
much easier...

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__